The Ultimate Guide to Precision Screwdriver Set
The screwdriver was invented in the 15th century, and until now, it can still be considered one of the most beneficial hand tools. A screwdriver is designed for screw drive or removal and comes in different sizes, types, shapes, and materials. A precision screwdriver set is the perfect tool for everyone, and it can be used even in a very tight place. This article discusses everything about precision screwdriver sets, making you better understand precision screwdrivers.
What is Screwdriver?
The precision screwdriver is one type of screwdriver. So before learning about precision screwdrivers, you should know what a screwdriver is. A screwdriver is a manual or powered tool for handling screws. Screwdrivers come in different types to meet specific needs but usually share the same function. A screwdriver mainly comprises three parts: handle, shaft, and head.
- Handle: The screwdriver handle is used for gripping. The handle is usually made of hard plastic or rubber. A good screwdriver handle should be soft and ergonomic for comfort when gripping.
- Shaft: The screwdriver shaft is commonly made of hard steel so that it will not be bent when moving or pushing screws. The shaft is usually round- or hexagonal-shaped.
- Tip or Head: In some screwdrivers, the tip is integrated with the shaft and cannot be interchanged. But it can also be an interchangeable part of the screwdriver. For example, a precision screwdriver set has many interchangeable screwdriver bits for different needs. These heads are designed to drive different screws.
What is a Precision Screwdriver?
A precision screwdriver is a hand tool with the same function as the standard screwdriver, but it is designed with a smaller drive tip and sleek handle. A precision screwdriver can also be named as a jewel screwdriver or mini screwdriver. Different from standard screwdrivers, precision screwdrivers are often used for small and delicate devices such as watches, mobile phones, and laptops.
Types of Screwdrivers
There are many types of screwdrivers on the market, and we’ll explain screwdriver bit types here. The most common precision screwdrivers are Slotted, Phillips, Torx, Hex, and Pozidriv.
- Flat Head or Slotted Screwdriver: The slotted screwdriver is probably the most common type of screwdriver bit, and itfeatures a flattened head that is designed to fit into the slotted screws.
- Phillips Screwdriver: This type of screwdriver was invented by Henry Phillips in the 19th The drive bit is cross-shaped or X-shaped. It is an improvement of the flattened screwdriver as the shape of the head provides a better grip when moving the screw.
- Torx or Star Screwdriver: Torx screwdriver features a star-shaped head. The 6-pointed star shape helps reduce damage to screws. In addition, it has low radial force, which can elongate the service life of the screwdriver. Torx screwdrivers are often used in electronic applications.
- Hex Screwdriver: Also called Allen key screwdriver. The hex screwdriver is designed to tighten or loosen bolts or screws that are hexagonal-shaped. This type of screwdriver supports quick screw removal and drive.
- Pozidriv Screwdriver: This type of screwdriver features two cross signs and can be regarded as the improved version of the Phillips screwdriver. Pozidriv screwdrivers are widely used in Europe. This shape helps prevent the head from slipping from the screws for effective installation and removal.
What is a Precision Screwdriver Set Used for?
A precision screwdriver is smaller and lighter than a standard screwdriver. A precision screwdriver set usually comes with a plastic case filled with various interchangeable bits. A good precision screwdriver can effectively provide solutions to different problems. It can repair various devices including smartphones, game consoles, watches, glasses, and even drones. If you are an Apple fanboy, a precision screwdriver set can effectively help you handle Apple products including Apple watches, glasses, iPhones, and laptops.
Best Precision Screwdriver Set
There are so many precision screwdriver sets on the market, so how to choose the best precision screwdriver set? In general, you should consider the following 3 factors: design, material, and application.
A good mini screwdriver set features an excellent design. The set usually comes with a plastic or metal case. While a budget precision screwdriver set usually doesn’t have a case and comes with loose tools and bits. Precision screwdriver bits are easy to be lost due to their small size, so the handle and the case are usually designed with a magnetic area. Comfort is very important when tightening or loosening screws, so the handle in the precision screwdriver set should be ergonomic and non-slip for easy operation.
In addition, the handle cap usually features a rotated design for one-hand operation. Most precision screwdriver sets on the market are dark-colored; why not choose a set with bright and unique color? This pink precision screwdriver set is a good option to treat yourself or send your beloved ones as a gift.
You know that a precision screwdriver is composed of a handle, shaft, and replaceable bits. These parts are made of different materials. The top of the handle is usually made of plastic, and the bottom is made of metal. In addition, rubber is added to the handle for comfortable gripping. The main body of the shaft is made of steel which is a combination of both strength and flexibility. What’s more, steel makes the shaft highly resistant to rust. And the replaceable bits can be made of various types of steel, including S2 steel, CRV steel, high carbon steel, etc. The bits should be hard and durable enough for long-life service.
S2 Steel vs Crv Steel
We have investigated that S2 steel and CRV steel are often used in the precision screwdriver set, so what’s the difference between them? Crv steel means chromium-vanadium steel, and its key element is Chromium. S2 steel is a kind of shock-resistant steel, which is harder than Crv steel. The main element of S2 steel is Silicon, a material favored by the screwdriver. S2 steel is more durable and impact-resistant, great for heavy-duty work.
In real-life usage, wear is a big concern when using screwdriver bits, while S2 steel can effectively solve this problem.
Most precision screwdriver sets come with similar-sized bits, but they are not always the same type. We have already mentioned that Slotted, Phillips, Torx, Hex, and Pozidriv screwdrivers are commonly used in daily life. But there are also other special types of screwdriver bits, such as triangle and Y shapes. You need to make sure what kind of bits you want. If you’re unsure what types of screwdrivers you will use, it will be safe with a set coming with a large number of different bits. But you’re hunting for a portable kit; those with common heads are enough for you.
For more information on this topic, you can keep up on our blogs. While VCELINK offers general and basic information for our customers and other visitors to the website, it’s not professional advice.